KCC Art Laboratory 2020-21

With the pandemic altering the world, our sense of space shifted drastically. Spaces of public gathering closed limiting us to the home space – that resulted in the exploration of known, smaller spaces as performance spaces. The physical space that we understood as performance space, got squeezed. While the small window in our telecommunication device connects us with a new space abundance named the virtual/ cyberspace – our physical enclosure stays restricted between the frames of our devices. 

On the other hand, there are conversations questioning gender, caste, religion-based ideologies and the ideas of human rights and freedom of expression. 

Recognising these phenomena Kolkata Centre for Creativity invites project applications for its upcoming multidisciplinary laboratory “Crucible” (the name does not intend to draw any association with the famous Arthur Miller play “The Crucible”). This laboratory will facilitate 2 performance projects that are negotiating the questions around these phenomena. 

KCC invites project applications for the laboratory program named “Crucible”. 

KCC will offer the selected projects:

- A grant of INR 50000.00 towards to creation of the project. 
- Hosting of 1 grand runs and the showcase of the final creations at KCC space in Kolkata (physical performance and video screening). 
- Mention of the projects at KCC’s Website. 

NB: 75% of the grant will be given at the beginning of the project and the rest 25% will be given within a month of the commencement of the first showcase. 

Application Guideline and Criteria: 

- The projects must address the idea of squeezing space as the central idea of their creation. 
- Applications are open to practitioners of performing (theatre and contemporary dance practitioner) and video artists. Individuals or a group (Maximum 7 people including in-space and back-space personals to travel) may apply. 
- The performance can be pre-recorded or live in a physical space or a combination of these. 
- The length of the piece must be a minimum of 30 minutes and a maximum of 60 minutes. 
- The work must a new work proposal and cannot be a film or a video recording of an existing performance by the individual or group. 
- We encourage projects that are multidisciplinary and collaborative.
- All the selected performance/ showcase of the projects must be executed within 31st March 2021. 
- This laboratory is offered for Indian Nationals only. (KCC Art Fellows for the current year of 2020-2021 are not eligible for application.) 
- The projects must be in Bengali, Hindi or English. 

Things to submit:

- The working title of the project. 
- The core driving questions of the project. 
- A concept notes. 
- A note on detailed treatment intended in the execution of the project. Detailed score/script and synopsis of narrative can be included in this section. 
- Bio and detailed role of the artist/group and the team of collaborators. 
- A broad time-frame for the project. 
- A detailed estimation of budget execution. 
- Everything must be submitted in one PDF to submission.kcc@akst.org.in on or before 13th December, 2020, 17.00 hours IST. 

Please mention the following at the first page of your application. 

Name of the applicant – 
Name of the group – 
Name of the contact person (in case of a group) - 
The working title of the project – 
Single point contact: Phone – 
Single point contact: Email – 
Name of the collaborators/team members –

Important Dates:

Deadline for submission 

December 13th 2020; IST 17.00 hours 

Announcement of the selected application 

December 24th 2020; IST 17.00 hours 

The time frame for execution of the projects 

December 25th 2020 – March 31 2021 

Presentation at KCC 

Within March 31st 2021(Date will be announced later) 


Email – submission.kcc@akst.org.in  
Write Application_CRU_(working title of your project) in the subject of the email.
Phone - +91 – 9051038394 (Tuesday – Sunday, 11.00 am to 7.00 pm)